Monday, September 1, 2008

Their Knoxville Ads Worked - Until I Went to Shop

I've got a bit of the new car itch. And I was hoping to scratch it a little this weekend by kicking some tires at a few Knoxville car dealerships. Why? Because their advertising in Knoxville worked - I saw the "Labor Day Sale" ads, liked the message of 0.9% and 1.9% interest rates, and decided to at least drive a few of the models that I've had my eye on.

I hate shopping for a car; I would rather go to the dentist. (Seriously, I love my dentist.) But on Sunday afternoon, I got myself psyched up and drove to the first of three Knoxville car dealerships I wanted to visit. As I was pulling up to the entrance, I could feel my blood pressure increase, then my pulse. I slowed down, started to pull in, then the gate was closed. I looked down the street, and the other gate was closed. The dealership wasn't open. So I went to the second dealership, and it was closed too. The third one? Yup, closed.

Ugh. All of that mustering up for nothing. Well, since I was out, I decided to visit a fourth Knoxville dealership. The cars it has are not within my first choices, but at that point I had nothing to lose. I park my car, get out, and am immediately approached by a sales professional.

"I'd like to drive your [blank] model with the [blank], [blank], and [blank]," I said.

"Oh, that one's out on a test drive," he replied.

Then, silence. We just stared at each other. No offer to drive the same model in a different color.

"Um, how about another model. I like the [blank]," I said.

"We've got just one, and it's up here on the sidewalk on display," he gestured.

"Can I drive it?" I asked.

"Well, if you can wait a while. These other cars will have to move, and I'll have to get the ramps." he replied.

Then, silence. We just stared at each other. No offer to drive the same model in a different color.

"Um, okay. Well, can I sit in it?" I asked.

He went and got the keys, opened the doors, started up the car to get the air conditioning cranked, and offered me a seat. I sat in the driver's seat, and he got in the passenger's. I looked around for a few minutes, played with the buttons, and dialed the radio to a good XM station.

"I'd really like to drive this," I said.

"Well, what if you make an appointment for tomorrow and come back?" he asked.

So I made an appointment for Monday. Then came Monday morning. On my way back out to that dealership for my appointment, I decided to first stop by the other three that were closed on Sunday.

"They're all having 'Labor Day' sales, so surely they'll be open on Labor Day," I thought. I thought wrong. They were closed. Again. Ugh. Now I'm not in the mood to return to the fourth dealership to talk the sales professional into selling me a car. Or just letting me touch one. So I went to the grocery store instead.

If you're going to advertise it, be prepared to sell it.

No comments: